Project Mt. Pulag: To the Playground of the Gods and Beyond


It's a combination of word-of-mouth and being more accessible to other mountains that made me think of climbing Mt. Pulag.

Fortunately, I was able to join a group that had the same thought in mind.


The idea of witnessing the sea of clouds and the sunrise and the fun of hiking up the summit of Mt. Pulag kept popping incessantly in my head a few weeks before the climb.

After weeks of waiting, the day I was waiting for finally came.


THE PREP

Not sure why I even started with this part. I really didn't prepare for the climb at all. No physical conditioning whatsoever.

The group met at 2:00 AM at the Victory Liner bus terminal in Pasay to board en route to Baguio. I took the opportunity to doze off and recharge during the 6-hour trip.

We were picked up by a chartered jeepney at the Baguio terminal upon arrival in Baguio City.


The air was cold and the familiar scent of pine trees filled our senses as we sped through the zig-zag roads of Benguet. We dropped by the Ambuklao Dam in Bokod, Benguet for a quick stop-over and to take photos.

Ambuklao Dam in Bokod, Benguet.
REGISTRATION

We were required to register and attend an orientation at the DENR office in Bokod, Benguet. This is where they share the history of the mountain with the hikers. Locals consider Pulag as a sacred place and a protected tourist destination and everyone is expected to abide with the rules and regulations in place.

Photo taken at the DENR office during the registration.

Several mountaineering groups have left their team banners at the DENR office grounds to serve as their "footprint" in Mt. Pulag.
After the orientation, we went back to the jeepney and drove through the steep and rugged road to Ranger Station. The fun part? We did it TOP-LOAD STYLE.


We had a full 360-degree view of the hills and slopes as we were on our way to the Ranger Station.

RANGER STATION

We arrived at the Ranger Station at around 2:00 PM. This is the place where last preparations for the hike could be made. There are restrooms available to use and sari-sari stores for stocking up basic supplies. This is also where hikers can arrange for porters.

We were greeted by fog and the smiles of friendly locals upon our arrival.



The weather was notorious at this point -- it was already raining and it was very cold. We set up camp at the Ranger Station beside a local residence. We planned on staying at the Ranger Station for the night and trek early the next day to see the magnificent sunrise at the summit.

THE AMBANGEG JOURNEY

We woke up as early as 2:30 AM the next day to start our hike up. We opted to go for the Ambangeg Trail for our trek path.

The Ambangeg and Akiki trails are the most common choices for people who would want to go up the mountain. Akiki is more difficult than Ambangeg and could take more time. Pro and seasoned climbers would not have a hard time climbing up via this trail, but people who are not physically fit or not used to moving a lot should be ready to break a sweat.

The trail, albeit being the easiest among other trails, proved to be challenging as well. The air was thin and the path was slippery. It was very dark and rain was our constant enemy. The cold air cracked our faces and lips as we braved through the fog and darkness.

After hours of leg-crushing assaults and catching for breath, we finally made it to the summit.

THE SUMMIT

We arrived at the summit a couple minutes before the break of dawn. Mt. Pulag isn't the first mountain that I climbed, but it's got the most breathtaking and magnificent sunrise I have ever seen in my entire life.



Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of clouds during that time. However, it made me appreciate the view of the slopes and the rolling peaks even more.



At that time, I felt like I am one with nature. All the sweat and pain were all worth it. I don't get to see this kind scenery everyday and that made me appreciate this feat even more. My heart was overflowing with gratitude for the strength I was able to muster and the best weather for the climb.

The gang made it to the top! From left to right: Rose Ann, Dr. Lee and his friend, Lexter, Abi, Ralph, myself, JC, and Ivy.





I can't say I didn't have a hard time climbing up Mt. Pulag. There were times I almost got sapped of energy and breath. There were moments when I just wanted to stop and go back home. There was even a point when I questioned myself why the hell I was doing it in the first place.

Despite the difficulties, I am glad I was still able to make it. I guess that serves as a good reminder for me of what perseverance and not giving up could do for yourself.

This mountain maybe called as the "playground of the gods" but this is no playground at all. One needs to have determination and will to overcome the challenges that lie ahead.

The climb concluded successfully. And so we went home with a lot of memories and stories to tell. We were very tired but full of smiles and invaluable experiences.

My utmost respect and thanks go to Mt. Pulag and the people who are working hard to preserve its heritage and beauty.

3 comments:

  1. I MISS PULAG! HUHU

    If you have more time, take the Akiki trail! Promise, sobrang breath-taking ng scenes more than Ambangeg but all worth it. Take about 5 days so you can climb at your own pace and so you'll have more time to pitch your tent in the afternoon and just appreciate the view tapos trek nalang ulit in the morning :)

    Ochi | Ochi In The City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will defintely climb Pulag again. Maybe next year, tapos Akiki trail na. :) Tara. Och!

      Delete
    2. Let me know when! Inggit ako sa #DanAbiAdventures. Haha

      Delete

 

Popular Posts

About me

 photo 91bdb705-70b2-4e33-8576-8e685b072f51_zpswex6bu2b.jpg
Hello! My name is Daniel. Full-time worker. Traveler. Beach lover. Freediving enthusiast. Food finder. Street Photographer. Mountaineer. Ordinary. Free-spirited. Spontaneous. Potterhead. 90% human. 10% starfish. The Philippines is my home.