Kalibo & Boracay, Aklan: Great Food Finds

When I travel, I see to it that I take everything with me -- my clothes, money, and especially my appetite. I find navigating meal time when visiting a place to be very exciting at best and very frustrating at worst. We all need a little help on recommendations when traveling to help us answer thousands of pressing questions like: What are the must-try dishes in this place? How much should I be paying for authentic cuisine? Will these tiny sea creatures kill me if I eat them?

With that in mind, I went to a couple of spots in Kalibo and Boracay (Aklan) to find my comfort food.

SAYLO CUISINE

Located along the street of Andagao, Saylo Cuisine takes pride in being the best authentic Aklanon restaurant in Kalibo. With over 30 items on the menu, the restaurant serves authentic dishes that will definitely make you feel at home.

The ambiance and the atmosphere of the restaurant give a very humble sense of authenticity. I love the way they provide that feeling to their guests. The menu is presented in a small woven bag, and the lamps and other ornaments are made from simple and traditional materials.






I tried their Inubarang manok, which is described in the menu as "A truly Aklanon stew-like dish of native chicken and "ubad" (core of a banana stalk), cooked in coconut milk and lemongrass." I've tasted a number of chicken dishes and other food cooked in coconut milk, but this is different, and I'm happy with it.


Another winner is the Linapay, which is described in the menu as A unique Kalibonhon/Aklanon dish of pounded ueang (freshwater shrimp) and gawud (young coconut flesh), wrapped in gutaw (taro) leaves then cooked in coconut milk/juice. 



I am a fan of seafood, so I gave in to a sizzling dish of saucy and juicy oysters. I love the flavor of the fat and juicy oyster meat sizzling in thick sauce topped with bell peppers, sauteed onions, and green chillies. Absolute heaven.


If you will ask me what dish you should not miss, it's their signature Binakol. It is an Aklanon dish of native chicken cooked inside one node of fresh bamboo with added onion, lemongrass, and aeabihig leaves (a common souring ingredient), as the menu says. The soup has a very unique taste -- you can taste the earthy/nutty flavor of the bamboo infused with the spices and the chicken broth. Very homey.


Inday Inday. I am not pertaining to anyone's name, but to these delicious pieces of delight. Inday Inday is the name of this dish, described in the menu as A favorite Aklanon merienda (or dessert) dish of rice flour patty topped with bucayo (simmered strips of young, gelatinous coconut in water. The bucayo on top isn't too sweet which made it one of my favorite native delicacies.


SAYLO CUISINE
Magno Bldgs., Quezon Ave. Extension (Jaime Cardinal Sin Avenue)
Andagao, (near St. Monica Chapel), Kalibo, Aklan
Telephone: +63 36 268-6800
Operating Hours: 10:00AM to 12:00MN
Facebook: Saylo Cuisine
Note: Major credit cards are accepted, Free Wi-Fi



Of course, nothing beats hearty cup of coffee after a delicious meal.


I LOVE BACKYARD BBQ (BORACAY)

If you are a pure-blooded carnivore, chances are you will love eating at this restaurant. The food is good and the meats that they use for grilling are fresh.


The place was jam-packed when I went to this restaurant. There were a lot of people, albeit the small size of the area. The walls are adorned with a lot of decorations and pictures.


I tried the dish called Heart Attack, and I was surprised by its potent looks. Grilled pork belly, skewered bacon and sausages, grilled fish, served with rice cooked in crab fat. I could literally feel my arteries constrict with every munch.


I Love Backyard BBQ is located at D'Mall in Station 2, Boracay Island.

D' TALIPAPA (BORACAY)

This place reminds me so much of Dampa when it comes to seafood. But not anywhere when it comes to price. For me, it's very expensive here.

There are tables and pails of seafood everywhere. They have everything -- fish as big as a 2 year-old kid, lobsters, clams, scallops, oysters, and other sorts of shellfish.

There are lots of paluto restaurants to cook your seafood for you. Pair it rice and fresh mango shake and you're going the time of your life.

If you have the moolah, then by all means indulge in here.



D'Talipapa is located in White Beach, Station 2, Boracay.

ASTORIA (BORACAY)

I had a good helping of fried soy chicken (which comes in a very delicious sauce), crab salad, grilled marlin, and hoisin beef.


And then I concluded it with a plate of seafood (clam, shrimp, and oyster) carbonara.
Carb loading at its best.


 ZUCCHERO CAFE

In the middle of White Beach in Boracay lies a humble shop called Zucchero Cafe. They serve a variety of beverages including coffee, frappes, and fresh fruit and vegetable shakes. They also offer cakes and pastries to go with your drink. The place is also cozy, which makes it a perfect spot to just chill and relax.



I tried their signature Sansrival and I find it really good. It's not too sweet, and it's loaded with a lot of chopped nuts. I didn't feel any regret.


It goes perfectly well with a tall serving of fresh fruit shake.



HAMA (BORACAY)

You could never go wrong with Japanese food, they said. I couldn't agree more.
I tried Hama's shoyu ramen, which has egg noodles, scallions, seaweed, thin slices of pork loin, bokchoy, and egg, in soy based broth.



The salmon maki is also a killer. So damn good.


Maguro (tuna) sashimi. What a sight (and taste) to behold.


I actually felt a pang of regret after eating here, not because the food didn't taste great, but because of another downside -- it's a bit pricey here. Not recommended for people who are traveling in a shoestring budget.

Hama is located at D'Mall, Station 2 in White Beach, Boracay.

MANUKAN COUNTRY (KALIBO)

The last time I went to Bacolod I ate in a place called Manukan Country. I was surprised when I found out that there's another restaurant called Manukan Country too in Kalibo.

The one in Bacolod is good -- but this chicken inasal (pa-a) version of Kalibo's Manukan Country is better. The chicken is very tender and juicy.



Paired with lato (seaweed) kinilaw, and rice, you will definitely enjoy your meal here.
And did I say the food here is also very affordable? That's should make you give this place a thumbs up.




Manukan Country is located along Osmena Avenue, in front of Ceres Bus Terminal in Kalibo, Aklan.

KKK COFFEE (Kalibo)

KKK Coffee is a cozy cafe located near the airport in Kalibo. Their Kapeng Ginto from is currently my favorite cup. It's made from brewed coffee with whole milk and sweetened by a traditional variety of sugar.


The cafe also has a friendly reminder to its visitors:


There's another bonus to my visit in this cafe. I met new friends! They are from Malaysia and they all came from Boracay as well.



There are over 400 restaurants to choose from in Kalibo and Boracay, that's more than a thousand dishes to try.

Just don't forget to try the Chorizo Burger sold by the beach in Boracay. Trust me, it changed my life.


I know this list is very short, but I'm happy with my food experience here. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy that you include Zucchero Boracay in your list! We love its Belgian Chocolate and Salted Caramel Cakes. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will definitely try their salted caramel cake when I go back next time. :)

      Delete

 

Popular Posts

About me

 photo 91bdb705-70b2-4e33-8576-8e685b072f51_zpswex6bu2b.jpg
Hello! My name is Daniel. Full-time worker. Traveler. Beach lover. Freediving enthusiast. Food finder. Street Photographer. Mountaineer. Ordinary. Free-spirited. Spontaneous. Potterhead. 90% human. 10% starfish. The Philippines is my home.