Puerto Galera: Scuba Diving in Sabang Island

Last week, I finally got to try scuba diving for the very first time.

After a two hour drive from Manila, my friends and I arrived at the Batangas Port and secured our boat tickets (250 pesos/person) to Sabang Island from there.

The boat ride was very shaky and it felt like the boat was going to fly. It took roughly around 45 minutes for us to get to Sabang Island.


The boat ride to Sabang Island was one of the bumpiest  I've ever had. 
Sabang is known among tourists and divers for its numerous diving spots.
After having breakfast at a nearby restaurant, we checked in at dropped our stuff at Steps Garden Resort and took a quick rest.

Accommodations in Sabang Beach are a bit expensive, probably because the place caters to foreigners and dive enthusiasts.
I could see the beach and the nearby island of San Antonio from the veranda.
We started the dive lessons after lunch. Our dive master was Sir Mark from Sea Rider Dive Center, who had been very patient in teaching us the things that we need to know to survive underwater. The dive center provided everything that we need for the dive-- masks, fins, scuba gear, etc.

Breathing through the regulator was very challenging at first, but I got used to it after some practice.
We were taught a couple of skills that we need to be able to execute while underwater to avoid any difficulties/injuries from happening. These skills include proper breathing techniques, using the equipment, mask clearing, and equalization (clearing your ears to adjust them due to changes in water pressure). 

And now, the fun part -- the actual dive!


The experience was exhilarating -- it's like I was in a different world. 


Seeing all the corals and fish swimming around you was very surreal. We were lucky to have seen two sea turtles at the dive site, but I wasn't able to take a photo of them. 

The fear that I was feeling from the start was replaced by a different feeling. For a moment, I felt at home. I felt very comfortable with a pair of fins and a tank of air at my back. I felt one with the sea.


I spent 45 minutes under 12 feet. Not bad for my first diving record. It was a one-of-a-kind experience and I'm looking forward to do this again.

The mandatory underwater selfie with my good friend, Angelo. Thanks for introducing me to the underwater world!
I have been very afraid to try scuba diving. Not that I don't like being in the water, nor I'm scared of getting stung by jellyfish or what not, but the thought of relying on one little hose for oxygen made me very reluctant to try it. But I'm very glad to have ticked scuba diving off my must-do's list. 

You can contact Sea Rider Diver Center if you want to try and discover scuba diving, and they will arrange everything for you.

Sea Rider Dive Center
Sabang Beach, Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro
Mobile: +6392158885994
Email: mark@seariderdivecenter.com
Web; www.seariderdivecenter.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

About me

 photo 91bdb705-70b2-4e33-8576-8e685b072f51_zpswex6bu2b.jpg
Hello! My name is Daniel. Full-time worker. Traveler. Beach lover. Freediving enthusiast. Food finder. Street Photographer. Mountaineer. Ordinary. Free-spirited. Spontaneous. Potterhead. 90% human. 10% starfish. The Philippines is my home.