Part 2: Davao: A Trip to the Crown Jewel of Mindanao


My day started early the next day. After having a quick breakfast and fixing myself, I packed my bag and set off.



MAGSAYSAY AVENUE/CHINATOWN

I took a quick stroll around Magsaysay Avenue, and I got reminded of Binondo in Manila. This is Davao's own version of ChinaTown.

Davao's Chinatown. Photo taken October 11, 2015.
From Magsaysay Avenue, I took a multicab going to Matina and I got off at the corner of Quirino Avenue and San Pedro Extension, where the Annil Bus terminal is located. The terminal is very near Bangkerohan Public Market. 

Getting ready for today's work. Photo taken October 11, 2015.
There are buses going to Calinan from the terminal that depart every 30 minutes. I took the bus going to Calinan and paid 50 pesos for the fare. The trip took approximately an hour. 

From Calinan Market, I took a habal-habal ride to the Philippine Eagle Center in Malagos. I paid the driver 25 pesos and the ride took 10 minutes.

PHILIPPINE EAGLE CENTER


The Philippine Eagle Center is a non-goverment, non--profit organization that aims to preserve the Philippine Eagle. It's good to know that there are still people who are dedicated to protect these magnificent animals.

I paid 50 pesos for the environmental fee and another 150 pesos for the entrance fee.

The Philippine eagle is a HUGE bird. It could reach up to 1 meter in length, it's wingspan up to 2 meters, and could weigh as much as a 3-year old toddler.
The Philippine Eagle Center is home to 36 Philippine eagles, 18 of which are captive bred. Aside from Philippine eagles, there are also other species of eagles, owls, and hawks here. 

Common Grass Owl. Photo taken on October 11, 2015.
The center is also home to other animals such as civet cats, crocodiles, and different mammals.

Crocodylus porosus. Photo taken October 11, 2015.
Philippine brown deer (Rusa marianna). Photo taken October 11, 2015.
It's a good idea to bring mosquito repellent when you visit the Philippine Eagle Center, as  you will be greeted by bugs while you walk around the area.

There are also other things that you can do here. There's a cafeteria where you can grab something to eat. There is also a souvenir shop for people who want to buy pasalubong. A museum is found in the area where everything about eagles is displayed.

BACK TO DAVAO CITY PROPER

I took a habal-habal ride back to Calinan Market where vans and jeepneys headed to the town are located. I paid 25 pesos for the ride. Dropped off at SM Lanang and took a multicab headed to Buhangin for me to get to J.P Laurel Avenue where the hotel is located.

I decided to stay at Red Planet Hotel during my last night in Davao. I only paid 800 pesos for an overnight stay after getting a promotion online. Not bad at all.


My flight back to Manila was scheduled at 9AM the day after.

It was a short yet a very successful trip. With its awesome sights, great food, and the warm welcome of people, it's really not a surprise why this place is called the Crown Jewel of Mindanao.

Davao, I'll definitely come back and see you again.

Click here for Part 1 of my Davao trip.

Check out my detailed itinerary and budget here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

About me

 photo 91bdb705-70b2-4e33-8576-8e685b072f51_zpswex6bu2b.jpg
Hello! My name is Daniel. Full-time worker. Traveler. Beach lover. Freediving enthusiast. Food finder. Street Photographer. Mountaineer. Ordinary. Free-spirited. Spontaneous. Potterhead. 90% human. 10% starfish. The Philippines is my home.