Part 1: Davao: A Trip to the Crown Jewel of Mindanao


If you want to get rid of stress and be away from the madness of the city, Davao is one of the best destinations for you.

I went solo backpacking to this wonderful province with simple objectives in mind: Go to the beach, eat, and visit at least one tourist destination. And so I  created my own itinerary and went off to explore one of most sought-after jewels in the South.




The plane landed at exactly ten in the evening on the 9th of October. It took just a few steps to be at the place where I rode a jeepney -- no, a multicab, to get to the inn where I was supposed to stay.

Just a tip, saying "para" if you want to get off a multicab doesn't work here as nobody understands that. I learned this the hard way. I remember the discerning looks I got when I shouted "para" when I arrived at my destination. If you want the driver to stop, say "lugar lang." 

The fare from the airport to Sta. Ana Avenue costs 15 pesos. I stayed at Homitori Dormitel, which is a very famous dormitory-style inn for backpackers and travelers for its very reasonable rates and comfortable air conditioned rooms. The rate is at 220 pesos per night, inclusive of breakfast.

TRIP TO TALIKUD ISLAND/SAMAL ISLAND

I woke up early the next day to prepare for a day trip to Talikud Island. Breakfast was served at the hotel so I didn't have to buy food outside.

To get to Talikud Island, I took a ferry ride from Sta. Ana Wharf (which is just walking distance from the inn where I was staying). The familiar and serenading (to some, repulsive) smell of durian filled almost every corner of the street as I walked to the wharf.

This is just one of the flavors that Davao has to offer to its visitors. I personally love this fruit, despite the fact that a lot of people find the smell and the taste detestable. Photo taken October 10, 2015.


There are only two trip schedules going to Sta. Cruz Wharf (Talikud Island) from Sta. Ana Wharf (Davao City) -- 10:30AM and 3:00 PM. The last boat that goes back to Davao from Talikud Island departs Sta. Cruz Wharf at 3:00 PM.

The ferry ride took around an hour and 45 minutes. I didn't miss the chance to take a photo of the island  as we approached it.

Talikud Island got its name from its geographical location from the nearby island, Samal. It is located at the southern part of Samal Island.

Upon reaching Sta. Cruz wharf, there will be habal-habal drivers that will offer you a ride. I was able to haggle for 120 pesos for a round-trip ride.

The beach that I had in mind at this time was Babu Santa Beach, which is located on the other side of the island. It took 20 minutes worth of butt-and-ball-crushing habal-habal ride before I got to to Babu Santa Beach.

Babu Santa Beach is located at the western side of Talikud Island. There are a only a few resorts here, which makes it a perfect spot for travelers looking for a quiet place to enjoy the waters and sand.
The beach boasts white sand and ultra-clear waters, although the shore is cluttered with sticks, husks, and other plant crap. The beach is still under-developed and not very commercialized. I hope it stays this way for a very long time.

Frolic in brine. Photo taken October 10, 2015.
I needed to take a selfie. Because reasons. 
Authentic black and white pearls peddled by a local at the beach. I bought a pair to bring home for pasalubong.
I rented a small cottage with a table for 150 pesos. That's where I enjoyed fresh buko juice and had a chat with some of the locals who maintain the beach resort.

After spending an hour or so, I decided to return to the wharf and go to Samal Island. That meant another 20 minutes of butt-and-ball crushing habal-habal ride. Don't get me wrong -- I enjoyed the ride SO MUCH. It's just that cruising at 40-50 kilometers per hour on a dirt road could take toll on your legs. And butt. And that hanging thing right there if you are a guy. Here's a video of the ride:



I was supposed to visit another beach resort near the wharf which is Isla Reta, however, the resort charges 100 pesos for entrance fee. Since I am not really going to swim and stay for a long time, I did not go inside the resort anymore.

I took a boat ride from Sta. Cruz Wharf to Kaputian Island (which is part of Samal). There were no commercial ferries going to Kaputian Island when I got to the wharf,. I had to ask a bangkero to take me to Kaputian Island. Good thing that he was also heading to the Kaputian to deliver stuff there. He charged me 150 pesos for the boat ride. Not bad at all. The ride took around 15-20 minutes.

There are habal-habal drivers that will take you to your destinations in Samal Island when you get to Kaputian. I initially planned to take the Island Express bus instead of taking the habal-habal to save transpo costs, however, I was told that the bus liner stopped operations two years ago.

I negotiated with a habal-habal driver to take me to Monfort Bat Sanctuary and to Babak Wharf for 200 pesos. The ride from Kaputian to Monfort Bat Sanctuary took around 45 minutes to an hour. And that's how I got sunburns on my face and arms.

Monfort Bat Sanctuary - There's an entrance fee of 100 pesos.

This sanctuary is home to more than 2.8 million (the numbers have increased as of 2015) Geoffroy's Rousette fruit bats. You can hear the shrill squeaks of the bats from the entrance.
The caves reek of ammonia and bat crap. I had to take a selfie. Because again, reasons.
There are 5 caves in the area -- all of them serve their a specific function. There was a cave for mating pairs, one for nursing mothers, one for juveniles learning how to fly, another for males, and another for old  bats.
After spending some time in Monfort Bat Sanctuary, I asked the driver to take me to Babak wharf, where I will be taking the ferry ride back to mainland Davao.

The driver was kind enough to drop me off at the Blue Bird Resort for a quick view of the sea. This was not part of the deal. I wasn't disappointed with the view.

The habal-habal driver mentioned that there is a resort located in the adjacent island that offers snorkeling packages for 3k/pax. I thought it's too expensive for me so I did not oblige.
From Babak Wharf, I took a RORO ferry ride to Sasa Wharf (mainland Davao). Fare is 15 pesos/head. The ride took around 20-25 minutes.

Safety first. All the time.
The view of Samal Island from the RORO ferry.
Approaching Sasa Wharf

From Sasa Wharf, I rode a multicab to Davao City proper. Fare is at 13 pesos.

I capped the day with a hearty dinner at Lyndon's Worst Ribs and Awful Chicken.

Click here for Part 2 of my Davao trip.




2 comments:

  1. Talikud island is also Samal island?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ochi, Talikud is separate from Samal Island. It's to the south of its big brother. I dropped by Talikud before I went to Samal. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Popular Posts

About me

 photo 91bdb705-70b2-4e33-8576-8e685b072f51_zpswex6bu2b.jpg
Hello! My name is Daniel. Full-time worker. Traveler. Beach lover. Freediving enthusiast. Food finder. Street Photographer. Mountaineer. Ordinary. Free-spirited. Spontaneous. Potterhead. 90% human. 10% starfish. The Philippines is my home.