Dapitan and Dipolog: Going Solo in the Twin Cities of Zamboanga del Norte


After an almost-half-a-year work and travel hiatus, I was able to travel and explore again. This time, it's the twin cities of Zamboanga del Norte that I was able to tick off from my travel bucket list. It was last year when I was able to book a cheap Cebu Pacific flight to Dipolog. Luckily my vacation leaves for my travel dates were approved.




I arrived at the airport on a Friday afternoon. I initially planned to stay in Dipolog for the night, but I
decided to go straight to Dapitan City instead.

DAPITAN CITY



If you love traveling on a non-airconditioned bus in the Dipolog-Dapitan countryside, Evergood Transport is the perfect choice. Fare is 20 pesos to Dapitan City. Travel via public transport from Dipolog Public Bus Terminal to Dapitan City usually takes 20-30 minutes.

It was a smooth ride. Add to excitement the occasional whiff of chickens, dry grass, and the intoxicating smell of durian.


I must admit that my itinerary for the trip was not that well-prepared. The weak internet signal made it difficult for me to use Maps. I almost got lost trying to find the hotel where I was supposed to stay. But thanks to the friendly locals who told me the right place to get off so I could find the hotel.

I arrived in Dapitan City late afternoon. I stayed at TravelBee Inn. The hotel offers free use of bikes, which is a good thing. After unpacking my stuff, I hopped on a bike and started cycling around the city.



Dapitan City Plaza. St. James Church in the background.
I first learned about the historical significance of Dapitan City when I was in grade school. As we all know, this is where Jose Rizal stayed during his exile. This place has a historical feel that is similar to the feel that you get when you set foot in Vigan.

Heritage houses are still abound. Some have been converted into income-earning tourist attractions.




DAKAK BEACH

Perhaps the most popular destination in Dapitan City is Dakak Beach. It is known for its shaped cove and white sand.
It took around 15-20 minutes for me to reach Dakak via a habal-habal.








I find the accommodation rates a bit too steep so I decided to just stay here for the day. The fee for a day tour costs 1000 pesos, which is consumable in all restaurants and activities in the resort.
The food here is very expensive, but really good.








DIPOLOG CITY

Dipolog City gives an impression of being traditional and progressive at the same time. It is a small city packed with a rich culture and it is very evident in the must-visit places that lie in its heart.



Sta. Cruz Marker. It serves a reminder of the arrival of the early Boholano settlers in the city. Located near the Sunsset Boulevard.

Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral. A magnificent, religious structure built in 1984. Located near the City Hall and Plaza Magsaysay.

One will never run out of food options in Dipolog City. There are a lot of good restaurants to dine in and there are also street food for those who want to experience local offerings.


I spent a good amount of time walking along the Sunset Boulevard. At night, the boulevard transforms into a street food haven, packed with stalls selling grilled seafood and booze.





I visited Chlisy's Resto Cafe on Quezon Avenue. The baby back ribs and milkshakes were an absolute bliss.






The twin cities of Zamboanga del Norte, albeit being an unpopular tourist destination, have enough in store for someone to appreciate its warmth and simplicity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

About me

 photo 91bdb705-70b2-4e33-8576-8e685b072f51_zpswex6bu2b.jpg
Hello! My name is Daniel. Full-time worker. Traveler. Beach lover. Freediving enthusiast. Food finder. Street Photographer. Mountaineer. Ordinary. Free-spirited. Spontaneous. Potterhead. 90% human. 10% starfish. The Philippines is my home.